The holidays are right around the corner and while we eagerly await spending time with loved ones, eating good food, and receiving thoughtful gifts, we should also keep in mind the additional strain it can put on our plumbing and septic systems
. While it’s great to have guests over to the house, it can worsen unknown issues or cause drains to back up, garbage disposals to clog, and other septic system emergencies. To ensure a smooth holiday season (at least in the septic department), practice our tips below to prevent a septic system emergency from throwing a wrench in your celebrations.
- Don’t pour grease, fats, or oils down the drain or garbage disposal because these substances will harden in your drains after cooling down which will cause a clog. Instead, dispose of them in a garbage bin.
- In addition to greasy substances, avoid putting fibrous or starchy leftovers like celery, potato peels, rice, pasta, etc. into the garbage disposal. Before washing dishes, scrape any leftovers into the garbage bin so they don’t end up clogging your garbage disposal and drains.
- Avoid overwhelming your garbage disposal by not dumping too many materials. Make sure to run the disposal with water to ensure the materials go down the drain. Also, don’t wait to run the disposal all at once, run it at different times so the materials don’t accumulate and make it harder to go down.
- Give your plumbing a break by having guests wait to use showers or baths at least ten minutes in between so the drain doesn’t back up. A little patience will go a long way in preventing a clog or even a septic system disaster.
- Don’t flush non-flushable products like cotton swabs, feminine hygiene products, and floss. Even "flushable wipes" shouldn’t be flushed! Even though these claim to be flushable, they’re not water-soluble which is harmful to drains and septic tanks.
- “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure” is especially true for septic systems. Schedule maintenance service with a reputable and licensed septic company before you get too busy with holiday preparation and traveling.
If you do have a system emergency during the holidays, don’t panic. Honey-Wagon offers septic system repairs and maintenance
in and around the Kansas City Metro area. We’re fully equipped and prepared to return your septic system to ideal working conditions so you and your family can return to enjoying the holiday festivities. Call Honey-Wagon at (913) 681-3563 or (816) 525-5100 to schedule an appointment.